Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The 1-Year Rewind

The 85th Academy Awards are quickly approaching, and it's that time of the year where all sorts of Top 10 lists are being revealed. Because I haven't seen a few of the big films to come out this year yet (Lincoln and Django Unchained are the two biggest examples), I don't feel comfortable producing a Top 10 list for 2012.

However, I always make it a point to watch all the Best Picture nominees for a year, and I recently saw the final one for 2011. So after seeing The Help for the first time a few days ago, I present a brief rundown and personal ranking of the Best Picture nominees for the 84th Academy Awards.

I would love to read your ranking in the comments below.

We'll go in ascending order.

9)  War Horse

I feel weird putting Spielberg at the bottom of any list. And while the worst of Spielberg is better than most, War Horse doesn't ring with the same authenticity and urgency that his other films do. While the film is aesthetically beautiful, the death knell for any film is when you find yourself indifferent toward the characters. Joey could have met the same fate as Boxer from Animal Farm, and I'd still be more upset during Orwell's story.

My rating: 2 stars.



8)  The Help

This is a good film. It's not the most contested claim to make about the film. But the problem seems to be that any descriptor beyond that is probably too much. It's neither earth-shattering nor revelatory material. It has a unique voice, and that's why I believe it received so much acclaim. That, and the performances. Pretty good work from everyone in avoiding the trap of producing two-dimensional characters.

My rating: 3 stars.


7)  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

To be honest, this and The Help are pretty interchangeable on this list. Just too many stronger films for these solid-but-not-quite great films to rank any higher. Many people levied the "contrived" claim against ELaIC, and I think I agree to a small measure. There's nothing organic about the series of events that we encounter. There's more interesting frames in which to tell a 9/11 story. However, I was still overwhelmed by its emotion. I think this may be in part because the reception to many movies involving 9/11 has been lukewarm--to the point where United 93, a terrific movie regardless of label, has been tragically overshadowed. I couldn't help enjoy this movie, but maybe a part of me just wants a social fabric ready to embrace these stories.

My rating: 3 stars.

6)  The Artist

As a cinephile I'm supposed to be head over heels about The Artist. I'm supposed to rejoice at the celebration of cinema and the journey into a bygone era of Hollywood. And I do. The very nature of this movie, as a silent, black-and-white film, appeals to my senses. There's something about the sense of urgency in the acting and editing for silent pictures that cannot be captured by many "talkies."And its story transcends its setting; we see the "out with the old, in with the new" mindset in almost every aspect of our lives. I think that's why the film should quit being pegged as a great film for film lovers and rather simply as a great film.

(And that score... it is the epitome of "stirring.")

My rating: 3 stars.

5)  Moneyball

This may be Brad Pitt's finest performance. Between him and the screenplay, this is a terrific "sports" film. It's really not, though; I even think of it more along the lines of Margin Call or Wall Street than say The Natural or A League of Their Own. I can't stand baseball, and I was mesmerized. It is a joy to watch. The cast takes dialogue by Aaron Sorkin & Steven Zaillian that is ordinarily excellent to a whole new level. Every word seems real, every scene feels right. It's much more a story of two guys going against all odds than it is about a team in the hunt for a pennant. For once, you care more about what happens to our characters off the field than you do on the field.

My rating: 3.5 stars.


***

Now this is where it gets tricky. I had a hard time with the Top 4, although #1 was pretty clear from the get-go. However, I'd say it really had more to do with the battle for #3. I mean, no one really cares who third place is, but I love #4 and #3 so much it was like Sophie's Choice in my mindI should also make it clear now that these next four films receive my highest rating of 4 stars.

***


4)  The Tree of Life

Pretentious. Muddled. Boring. Artsy-fartsy. These were just some of the nicer adjectives many people (not including critics, who are just as pretentious and unfeeling) used to describe this film. But Terrence Malick's films are treasures. Meditative and transcendent, almost like visual tone poems. If you aren't into movies (and by extension, stories) for characters, then you are missing the point will be left behind during a Malick film. The Tree of Life is arguably his finest and most touching film, although I'd give the nod to The Thin Red Line. It is about nature v. nurture; looking back on life, the universe, and everything; and even dinosaurs. To be fair, that scene may have been the breaking point for many. However, you don't LSD or even plenty of rest to get through it as some have claimed. All you need is is vision.

3)  Midnight in Paris

Many people have been to Paris who have had their romantic notions of the city completely deflated. I have not been to Paris, nor have I ever felt this overwhelming sense of grandeur. Don't get me wrong, I would like to visit it one day (even if that's only because I've only left the country for a few hours to visit Mexico). There's too much history, food, and shopping to be done. But what struck me about this movie was that it is Woody Allen's love letter to the city. If I ever love anything as much as Woody Allen loves Paris, I'd  be the Paula Deen to its butter. Seriously, though, I was completely on the side of Owen Wilson's character. (Like Brad Pitt in Moneyball, is this Wilson's career best?) Suddenly, Paris, je t'aime makes much more sense.

2)  The Descendants

I once pronounced Christopher Nolan the greatest auteur of our generation, but Alexander Payne may very well be the greatest filmmaker of our time. Much like the great writer/directors, Payne's voice is unmistakable. In fact, remember that Paula Deen-butter analogy? That might be me and Payne's movies. I don't know what it is about them, but their humor, sadness, and joy shine through in the most honest sense. What makes his films so different is that these qualities are effortlessly blended all at once. You will laugh out loud and snivel in conjunction. This film is no different. Sideways is one of my Top 10 movies of all time. And The Descendants makes a case for being my favorite Alexander Payne film. So, using some deduction, one might correctly conclude that this film and #1 on this list must also be near or even on that Top 10 list as well.

1)  Hugo

I've talked about movies that are celebrations of cinema, overtures to Paris, or achievements in visual splendor. Well, Hugo has all these things and more. I'll admit that I was only curious going in because it was Martin Scorsese doing 3D and a "children's" story. My contempt for 3D was triumphed only by this curiosity. But during and after the movie, I felt that "magic" that one feels only on the rarest of occasions. For me, this film works on every level. Even the 3D was inspired; if you are going to do 3D films, make them like Hugo. But this is not a children's movie; it's a movie for everyone. Anyone who has ever lived, laughed, and loved. Anyone who has ever seen what the tiniest amount of inspiration, imagination, and determination can produce. And anyone who values the magic of storytelling. I can say without reservation that Hugo earns my absolute recommendation.

***

Well, I set out to do a short little listing and blurb about each. As usual, I got carried away.

What do you think? How would you rank these films? Did the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences screw up their nominees again?(Again, I was only concerned with ranking the nominees for Best Picture of 2011. Many deserving films deserve a spot on this list but were snubbed.)

Let me know what you think!

P.S.  I hope you won't be deterred by any comments. With the exception of 12 Angry Men, I don't think I've ever seen a movie where I felt the need to force its greatness upon you. So by all means, if you hated The Descendants or were in love with The Help, please don't hold back.

2 comments:

  1. Jordan,
    Love the new look and the idea for this post. I'm gonna do a brief version of what you did but without "Tree of Life" or "Warhorse" because I haven't seen them.

    7.The Artist - I honestly had a hard time making it through this movie. The story suffered because of the medium and the medium was the only reason it got so much attention. I was really disappointed in the film and in its many winnnings. The score is terrific however.
    6.The Help - This is the part where I am honest about ranking movies not my favorite actors. Emma Stone is a favorite and she is #6 where my deeply loathed Sandra Bullock is #2. I agree with much of what you said. Performances were stunning but I believe its true strength is in its telling of a familiar story (Civil Rights Era)but through a very different lens. Our characters aren't MLK, Malcom X, etc. but nameless serving women.
    5.Hugo - Terrifically made film. Holds tension and anticipation until the last frame which is a rare treat. More than almost all the characters in these films I felt something for Hugo which makes this film stand out.
    4.Moneyball - I couldn't agree more. Normally there is only one thing I hate more than baseball and that is baseball movies. Not the case with MOneyball. Brad carried the film for sure but how about Jonah Hill and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in very unconventional roles that they excelled in. Even better was the failure at the end of the movie. It gave the film an excellent sense of reality way better than a Disney happy ending.
    3.Midnight In Paris - Woody Allen made me love Paris more than I ever dreamed and I have never been there. It was as if he was weaving a portrait of what our dreams might be and then invited us to go and enjoy the real thing. Incredibly well written and well framed by the costumes, music, etc. A resounding YES! It is WIlson's best role yet.
    - These top two were always the top if for no other reason than I felt during these movies. Not just for the characters and with the characters but AS the characters. That is incredible film making!-
    2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - I took my girlfriend to see this for valentines and spent most of the movie weeping as I felt the deep pain of feeling responsible for the death of a loved one. The scene where he asks forgiveness from almost a complete stranger I will never forget. The claims of the movie being contrived are well founded but only made by those unwilling to go on the journey called for by the film.
    1.The Descendants - Perhaps my favorite Clooney role, this film as well took me forcibly into its world. I felt like I was in Hawaii. Such a terrific immersion into the world and story of 3-dimensional characters should have garnered way more awards than it did. As with #2 this film was so brilliant in its choice to choose forgiveness and love over the more typically shown brokenness. Both movies could have left the characters in their brokenness but instead an even more compelling choice is made to redeem the brokenness. As with TDKR, a grievously fought for (but still truthful) happy(ish) ending is the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawyer,

    I don't know how you'll feel about "The Tree of Life," but I suggest you see it just for the experience alone. One-of-a-kind, for better or worse.

    I'm pretty sure that while we both applaud our intellectual instincts, our visceral ones carry the day when it comes to movies. So, I totally see where many of our agreements come from.

    I am most pleased by your inclusion of "Midnight in Paris" in your Top 3. This makes me happy.

    I can't really be upset at your ranking of "Hugo" at #5. You had good things to say about it, and its spot seems just a matter of numbers.

    Your best point may be about endings. Characters have to "fight" for whatever is at stake. That makes for the best art.

    ReplyDelete